5 Reasons Giving is Important in the Life of Believer
The next spiritual growth habit that we need to examine is the habit of giving.
At Good News Gathering we have taken a very strong position on the issue of giving. We believe that GIVING IS A CRUCIAL ISSUE IN THE LIFE OF EVERY CHRISTIAN. Why have we taken this position? There are several reasons:
- Giving works against the selfishness and self-centeredness that sin produces in our lives.
- Giving is an antidote for the disease of materialism that has become an epidemic in American culture. We are bombarded daily with the idea that more is better. Media and advertising strive to turn wants into needs.
- Giving reminds us that everything we have is a gift from God. We are not truly owners of what we have. We are simply possessors of that which belongs to God.
- Jesus said, “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” Matthew 6:24 (NIV). In other words, how we handle our finances is a SPIRITUAL ISSUE.
- So, we emphasize giving because every Christian needs to give. It’s a spiritual growth issue. We do not emphasize giving because GNG needs money.
This explains why we have never passed a plate at GNG. We simply have offering baskets available and people give as they feel led by God to give. On the one hand, passing a plate gives the impression to seekers that all we really want is their money. On the other hand, passing a plate gives the impression to believers that giving isn’t about spiritual growth, it’s about the church needing money. Please take a few minutes to reread pages 23-27 of your CLASS 201 book.
At GNG we teach on Biblical financial principles every year and it’s an important component of CLASS 201. We also provide two ministries geared to help us apply Biblical principles to our finances:
- Financial Freedom Ministry: This is a confidential ministry designed to help you apply Biblical principles to your finances. You can learn more about the Financial Freedom Ministry by contacting the Church Office at (937) 393-5383.
- Financial Peace University: This is a thirteen-week LIFE Group that focuses on Biblical financial principles and debt reduction within the small group context. For more information on this LIFE Group contact the Church Office at (937) 393-5383.
Interestingly, though we have never passed a plate, God has blessed GNG financially over the years. Year-in and year-out, God has provided the GNG Family with the financial resources we have needed when we needed them. We have every reason to be grateful because we have experienced what the Apostle Paul meant when he wrote:
“And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19 (NIV)
So, as you have your Quiet Time today, take time grappling with this important spiritual question:
“How’s my giving?”